Idea Napkin
I
am currently a junior undergraduate at the University of Florida. My experience
includes interning at Cornerstone Community Bank where I learned how to
interact with clients as well as conduct industry research. Currently, I am a
Director of Campus Operations for Study Edge where I am learning how to
effectively market a product to millennials, specifically college students, and
how to effectively position a product and company against a competitor. If I
were to start this business, it would have to come second to my education
because that is the most important thing in my life right now.
The
product I am offering to customers is called Amico, the Italian word for
friend. It would work as a “Tinder for friends,” in which users can see other
user profiles in their area to meet new people. Users can swipe up if they’d
like to talk to the profile, or down if they would not like to. If both users
swipe up, they will be “matched” and can message each other to see if they’d
like to meet. This product will make money through advertising through targeted
ads based on shared user interests. For instance, it both matched users have an
interest in shopping, an ad for a local boutique could show. This would provide
a talking point for the users as well as advertising for businesses. The app
would be free to download for users. Eventually, the app could be designed so
that users could also have the option to pay for an ad-free app experience. The
app will try to ensure the safety of its customers by requiring those using the
app to sign up through a Facebook account or using a .edu email address.
The
main demographic for this app would be 18-35 year olds. The app would be geared
towards both genders. College students and young professionals in large cities
are the main target audience. Within college towns, out of state students will
especially be targeted. Additionally, local sports teams could use the app to
find new players, so local sports leagues will be targeted. All the customers
have a desire to connect with new people in their area and form new
friendships.
Although
customers would not be paying to download the app, companies would pay to
advertise their business. Users would find this app valuable because it allows
them to meet new people outside of their social circle that they know have
similar interests and are in their area. Businesses will appreciate the
targeted approach of the advertising and therefore will pay to advertise on the
app.
Something
that sets this app apart is that there is no other well-known and popular app
that allows users to meet others with similar interests in their own area
without any prior connections (such as mutual friends on Facebook). Examples of
interests could be sports teams, types of food, travel, adventurous activities
like rock climbing or skydiving, or more relaxed options like going to the mall
or seeing a movie.
I
believe these elements fit well together. This app represents a new way of
meeting and making friends, which is perfect for the demographic I am
targeting. I think this app will be difficult to get off of the ground
initially, because it will have to be spread mainly through word of mouth,
since I won’t have money to put into advertising it extensively without the
help of investors. The weakest aspect of my business would be that I would not
be able to devote very much time to the app until I have graduated from
graduate school. Additionally, I have little knowledge of creating and
maintaining apps, so I would need to employ a team to create the app as well as
continuously fix any bugs or glitches that may occur.
Feedback Memo
One
point that came up multiple times in the comments was the safety aspect. While
it’s extremely difficult to verify every member on an app such as this without
asking for sensitive and private information, I tried to cut down on fake
profiles by adding that users will have to sign up through either a Facebook
account or using an .edu email address. This won’t solve the problem
completely, but will hopefully cut down on the amount of fake profiles and
increase user safety.
Another
point was whether this was targeted specifically towards women or not. While initially
that was my intention, after looking at more feedback and thinking it over, I’ve
decided it will be geared towards both genders, in order for it to appeal to as
many customers as possible.
Another
point commonly brought up was the appeal of this app for out of state students
in college. I’m not sure how many advertisers would be allowed to promote their
product to incoming freshman at university events, but this would definitely be
a great audience to specifically target. I have included this in my target
market paragraph.
One
interesting point from a commenter was that the app could be used to recruit
for sports teams on campus or for local teams. I hadn’t thought about this at
all, but it would be very useful since it can be hard to find people who play
and enjoy a specific sport. This also helped me in my choice to promote this app
to both genders, since there are so many males who enjoy watching or playing
sports.
Finally,
I included young professionals, especially in big cities in my target market.
Several commenters mentioned how an app like this would have been useful for
themselves or friends moving to big cities, so I made it more of a point to
mention this in my idea napkin.
Hello Nicole,
ReplyDeleteAs I was reading this, I was going to point out about the safety issue, but you already took this feedback! Anyways, I really love your creative idea, and it has a lot of details that no one would never think about. Great job, Nicole! Please visit my blog and give me some feedback on my idea napkin. It is http://bongjukang.blogspot.com/2016/03/idea-napkin-no-2.html
Hey Nicole! This is a great idea for people who are new to cities! It could be new professionals or college freshman, etc. It could be used to find somebody to play pool with, to get a coffee, go to a bar, play soccer, go on a bike ride, play video games, etc. I'm really fond of this idea and it can help all of the people using tinder who are getting harassed when looking for friends. Good Luck!
ReplyDeleteNicole, while there are many social dating apps like the one you described, this gives a unique twist to how we interact with potential online friends. This idea does seem refreshing and I agree that an app like this should be created, especially since many people are too shy to talk to random people off the bat. An idea takes a long time, so don’t feel too worried if you can’t get the app developed before this class ends. It’s not how fast you finished the marathon, it’s if you finished. I look forward to seeing and possibly using Amico. Here’s the link to my idea. I’d love to see what you think. http://jacobembuscado.blogspot.com/2016/03/idea-napkin-no-2.html Side note: you can change it to Amici, which means friends in Italian, so it covers both genders.
ReplyDelete