I
am currently a junior undergraduate at the University of Florida. My experience
includes interning at Cornerstone Community Bank where I learned how to interact
with clients as well as conduct industry research. Currently, I am a Campus
Representative for Study Edge where I am learning how to effectively market a
product to millennials, specifically college students, and how to effectively
position a product and company competitively against a competitor. If I were to
start this business, it would have to come second to my education because that
is the most important thing in my life right now.
The
product I am offering to customers is called Amico, the Italian word for
friend. It would work as a “Tinder for friends,” in which users can see other
user profiles in their area to meet new people. Users can swipe up if they’d
like to talk to the profile, or down if they would not like to. If both users
swipe up, they will be “matched” and can message each other to see if they’d
like to meet. This product will make money through advertising through targeted
ads based on shared user interests. For instance, it both matched users have an
interest in shopping, an ad for a local boutique could show. This would provide
a talking point for the users as well as advertising for businesses. The app
would be free to download for users.
The
main demographic for this app would be 18-35 year olds. The app would also
mainly be geared towards women, though it would be available to both genders.
College students and young professionals in large cities are the main target
audience. All the customers have a desire to connect with new people in their
area and form new friendships.
Although
customers would not be paying to use the app, companies would pay to advertise
their business. Users would find this app valuable because it allows them to
meet new people outside of their social circle that they know have similar
interests and are in their area. Businesses will appreciate the targeted
approach of the advertising and therefore will pay to advertise on the app.
Something
that sets this app apart is that there is no other app that allows users to
meet others with similar interests in their own area without any prior
connections (such as mutual friends on Facebook).
I
believe these elements fit well together. This app represents a new way of meeting
and making friends, which is perfect for the demographic I am targeting. I
think this app will be difficult to get off of the ground initially, because it
will have to be spread mainly through word of mouth. The weakest aspect of my
business would be that I would not be able to devote very much time to the app
until I have graduated from graduate school. Additionally, I have little
knowledge of creating and maintaining apps.
Nicole,
ReplyDeleteThis is a very interesting idea. I personally am not a Tinder user so I don't really know how it works, but I'm assuming your idea is very similar. I like this idea because living in a large college town can make it hard for people to meet friends, but an app like this is also a great concern. Tinder seems like it can be a very unsafe app and like I said your app seems very similar. How would you make sure everyone using your app is safe? Would you require users to fill out a profile? Great work!
Here is my post: http://shainaent3003.blogspot.com/2016/02/idea-napkin-no-1.html
Hi Nicole,
ReplyDeleteThis seems like a pretty smart idea. I have used Tinder and other apps similar and while I feel like it would be a great way to meet people, I feel like one of my concerns would be safety as well. With the product being targeted more toward women and them gaining friendships, how would safety measures be put into place where the app would not turn into something harmful? Like on any other social media sites, people pretending to be others is a huge issue. Besides that, I really think that it has potential! Great read! Here is my post: http://breyflynch.blogspot.com/2016/02/idea-napkin-no-1.html
Hi Nicole,
ReplyDeleteI think this is a fantastic business idea. This app that you are offering can help connect many people and be the future of social media. I believe that it would be popular with college kids who are new to the town and want to make more friends. It could also work for people who just moved and are looking to meet new people.
http://kbernabe.blogspot.com/2016/02/idea-napkin-no-1.html
Nicole,
ReplyDeleteI love this idea. I know many people who have fallen off with old friends and are looking for a new group to hang with. This would be an easy way to develop new friendships where the interest is on both sides. I think it's even better than the app bases its search on people based locally.
I do not know how Tinder works so I do not really have anything to compare to. My only concern would be the safety of 18+ meeting strangers. How will the app verify teens are not using it? Overall, I think you have a really strong idea! Best of luck!
http://jamiecgarcia.blogspot.com/2016/02/idea-napkin-no-1.html
Delete