Thursday, January 14, 2016

My Entrepreneurship Story

My first experience with entrepreneurship was because of my high school English teacher. Her son was about 5 years older than me, and he helped create the music streaming website Grooveshark while he was an undergraduate at UF. I went home and looked up the website and really enjoyed the layout of the website and how easy it was to use. I actually used it regularly to stream music for a year or two, but recently it was shutdown and reformatted due to copyright infringement lawsuits from major music groups. The website is different now so I don’t use it as much, but I’m still amazed how popular the website of a few undergraduate students became.



I decided to enroll in this class because I thought it seemed like one of the more interesting business courses. I really liked marketing and learning about how to advertise to consumers, and being an entrepreneur gives you the chance to not only try to market the product or service, but to come up with the product or service itself. What I hope to get out of this class is how to take an idea and see it through to its completion.



3 comments:

  1. Hello Nicole,
    It is really cool that your professor’s son helped create a music streaming website! I have not heard about Grooveshark, but I have an idea of what it must have looked like. It is a shame that they closed the website, as now music streaming is such a profitable business, however I do understand the motive. Copyright is a form of intellect property, and because of that it must be treated with extreme care.
    I enrolled in this class because it looked like an interesting class too! I really think that it will also give us a better idea of what does being an entrepreneur really mean, and what things we can do in order to improve our entrepreneurship skills.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Check out my blog here!
    http://theroadtoentrepreneurship.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Nicole,
    I enjoyed reading about your entrepreneurship story! It is such a small world because I immediately recognized the name Grooveshark. One of my best friends used to be friends with one of the creators, so I wonder if we know the same guy! I never used the website to stream music, but it was very popular at one point so I am sorry to hear about their infringement problems. I wonder if their new reformatted website will be as popular as Pandora or Spotify. I guess we'll see!
    Your reasoning for joining the class was very similar to mine. I am concentrating on marketing for my degree with a minor in entrepreneurship, and I think the two go hand-in-hand. It is so great to have so many options open to us to explore different sides of business! Hope you enjoy the course!
    If you want to check out my entrepreneurship story, the link is http://maursfirstblog.blogspot.com/2016/01/my-entrepreneurship-story.html

    ReplyDelete